PROTECTING OUR PLANET
Value Chain Boundaries
Our management approach
Added value to the company
Proper water stewardship means taking care of a resource that does not belong to us and is needed for the daily life of neighboring communities and our operations. By carefully taking care of this resource, we ensure long-term business viability and availability for stakeholders near our operations.
Added value to society
Through our water management strategy, we contribute to preserving the quantity, quality, and availability of this valuable resource for the ecosystem as well as neighboring communities. The cost to society for 2016 derived from water consumption decreased by 13.5% compared to 2015 according to our Value Added Statement – VAS.
103-2 Initiatives, commitments, and policies
Cement Sustainability Initiative
CEO Water Mandate
- We continued using the Global Water Tool to assess the global water risk level of our operations and expanded the analysis to our critical suppliers.
- We selected and implemented the Water Risk Filter to assess the local water risk level of our operations.
- We joined the Suizagua III Project, a partnership that will allow us to expand the measurement and management of the water footprint of some of our facilities and critical suppliers.
- We formulated Water Consumption Measurement and Reduction Plans for the cement and concrete businesses in our three regions.
- For the CCA Region, we enhanced the reliability of water monitoring through the installation of measurement devices and the establishment of quantification and reporting protocols.
- We are industry leaders in water management, as recognized by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index three years in a row.
- There was an increase in water withdrawal for the cement business as a result of the implementation of the Argos guidance on good practices for water accounting and the formulation of the Water Measurement and Reduction Plans for the facilities, which has allowed us identify and measure significant hidden water flows, especially at the Harleyville and Roberta plants.
- Recycled water volume in the cement business increases due to the identification of large flows of water recirculated at Newberry plant that were not taken into account in previous years. This improvement in the report is the result of the implementation of the Argos water accounting and reporting guidelines and the formulation of water measurement and reduction plans for the facilities.
- To ensure the long-term water availability, quantity, and quality for the company and its stakeholders.
303-1 TOTAL WATER WITHDRAWAL m3
Millions of m3
Millions of m3
Generation of energy
Millions of m3
Thousands of m3
We decreased the specific consumption of water of the cement business by 37% and by 13% in the concrete business, compared to 2012, so we surpassed the goal that was initially set for cement (30%).
- We will begin with the implementation of the Suizagua III Project.
- We will continue assessing our global and local water risks in order to prioritize actions to minimize those identified.
- We will develop guidelines for proper water management to implement in our operations for upcoming years.
- We will reduce specific water consumption by 30% in the cement business and 20% in the concrete production.